Unable to access Windows 10 files from Ubuntu 18.04Access Windows 10 Shared Folder from Ubuntu 18.04How to access shared files on Ubuntu from a windows machine?Transfer files FROM Ubuntu TO Windows XP over wirelessaccess windows file system problemCan't access files on mounted shared folder from windowsWhy I get randomly “Failed to mount Windows share: Connection timed out” with VPN connection?How can I access windows 10 partition in ubuntu when i cant get it to shut down in a “safe state”?New Install 16.04 cannot access the Shared Drive : Step by Step guide you would do?mount error(115) w/ Windows 10 share. Error connecting to sockethow I can access the smb from linux?Unable to access files on Ubuntu which is of Windows directory

This equation is outside the page, how to modify it

If Invisibility ends because the original caster casts a non-concentration spell, does Invisibility also end on other targets of the original casting?

Life insurance that covers only simultaneous/dual deaths

What Happens when Passenger Refuses to Fly Boeing 737 Max?

Replacing Windows 7 security updates with anti-virus?

Silly Sally's Movie

Latest web browser compatible with Windows 98

How to deal with a cynical class?

What is the difference between "shut" and "close"?

Why does Deadpool say "You're welcome, Canada," after shooting Ryan Reynolds in the end credits?

Sword in the Stone story where the sword was held in place by electromagnets

Is having access to past exams cheating and, if yes, could it be proven just by a good grade?

infinitive telling the purpose

Making a sword in the stone, in a medieval world without magic

How to make readers know that my work has used a hidden constraint?

Ban on all campaign finance?

Who is our nearest neighbor

Prove that the total distance is minimised (when travelling across the longest path)

Single word request: Harming the benefactor

Why don't MCU characters ever seem to have language issues?

Plywood subfloor won't screw down in a trailer home

Co-worker team leader wants to inject the crap software product of his friends into our development. What should I say to our common boss?

The three point beverage

Format picture and text with TikZ and minipage



Unable to access Windows 10 files from Ubuntu 18.04


Access Windows 10 Shared Folder from Ubuntu 18.04How to access shared files on Ubuntu from a windows machine?Transfer files FROM Ubuntu TO Windows XP over wirelessaccess windows file system problemCan't access files on mounted shared folder from windowsWhy I get randomly “Failed to mount Windows share: Connection timed out” with VPN connection?How can I access windows 10 partition in ubuntu when i cant get it to shut down in a “safe state”?New Install 16.04 cannot access the Shared Drive : Step by Step guide you would do?mount error(115) w/ Windows 10 share. Error connecting to sockethow I can access the smb from linux?Unable to access files on Ubuntu which is of Windows directory













0















Dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows 10.



I realised Windows files are not visible by default, unlike in the past.



Mounting the filesystem directly doesn't work.



Steps I have tried include the steps outlined here, for a similar question. The suggestions do not work, because I get the error mount: /home/a/shared: mount(2) system call failed: Connection refused.



When I try to access the shared folder by typing smb://192.168.1.102, as stated here, I am unable to do so, because I get the error Unhandled error message: Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused.



To reiterate, I already have a folder that I am sharing through Windows Sharing Centre and smbclient is installed on Ubuntu. I just cannot connect to it and I can't figure out why.



Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I would probably need to switch to a distribution that lets me access my Windows files by default. Thank you.










share|improve this question






















  • You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

    – heynnema
    Jan 8 at 18:21















0















Dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows 10.



I realised Windows files are not visible by default, unlike in the past.



Mounting the filesystem directly doesn't work.



Steps I have tried include the steps outlined here, for a similar question. The suggestions do not work, because I get the error mount: /home/a/shared: mount(2) system call failed: Connection refused.



When I try to access the shared folder by typing smb://192.168.1.102, as stated here, I am unable to do so, because I get the error Unhandled error message: Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused.



To reiterate, I already have a folder that I am sharing through Windows Sharing Centre and smbclient is installed on Ubuntu. I just cannot connect to it and I can't figure out why.



Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I would probably need to switch to a distribution that lets me access my Windows files by default. Thank you.










share|improve this question






















  • You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

    – heynnema
    Jan 8 at 18:21













0












0








0








Dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows 10.



I realised Windows files are not visible by default, unlike in the past.



Mounting the filesystem directly doesn't work.



Steps I have tried include the steps outlined here, for a similar question. The suggestions do not work, because I get the error mount: /home/a/shared: mount(2) system call failed: Connection refused.



When I try to access the shared folder by typing smb://192.168.1.102, as stated here, I am unable to do so, because I get the error Unhandled error message: Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused.



To reiterate, I already have a folder that I am sharing through Windows Sharing Centre and smbclient is installed on Ubuntu. I just cannot connect to it and I can't figure out why.



Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I would probably need to switch to a distribution that lets me access my Windows files by default. Thank you.










share|improve this question














Dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows 10.



I realised Windows files are not visible by default, unlike in the past.



Mounting the filesystem directly doesn't work.



Steps I have tried include the steps outlined here, for a similar question. The suggestions do not work, because I get the error mount: /home/a/shared: mount(2) system call failed: Connection refused.



When I try to access the shared folder by typing smb://192.168.1.102, as stated here, I am unable to do so, because I get the error Unhandled error message: Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused.



To reiterate, I already have a folder that I am sharing through Windows Sharing Centre and smbclient is installed on Ubuntu. I just cannot connect to it and I can't figure out why.



Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I would probably need to switch to a distribution that lets me access my Windows files by default. Thank you.







networking dual-boot 18.04 mount windows






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Jan 8 at 15:41









solacesolace

1




1












  • You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

    – heynnema
    Jan 8 at 18:21

















  • You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

    – heynnema
    Jan 8 at 18:21
















You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

– heynnema
Jan 8 at 18:21





You can easily temporarily mount a Windows NTFS partition by opening a Files (Nautilus) window, and clicking on the volume in the left pane. For permanent mounting, you'll have to add a mount in /etc/fstab. In EITHER case, you really shouldn't be mounting your C: partition as you'll potentially cause damage to Windows, and it may give errors on the next Windows boot. You can't smbclient to an Windows OS that is not running at the time.

– heynnema
Jan 8 at 18:21










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














I have a dual boot Windows 10 (pro)/Ubuntu 18.04 system. I just grabbed a file by opening "Other Locations" from the Gnome files tool, then navigating to the Windows drive, then navigating to a location where the file was that I wanted.



One thing to remember is file permissions. check them in both directions. I would not be inclined to literally "share" files between the two systems in general (That's why I dual boot), but for copying resources like text files or images and so forth? I don't have any issues.






share|improve this answer








New contributor




andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.



















    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1108036%2funable-to-access-windows-10-files-from-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    0














    I have a dual boot Windows 10 (pro)/Ubuntu 18.04 system. I just grabbed a file by opening "Other Locations" from the Gnome files tool, then navigating to the Windows drive, then navigating to a location where the file was that I wanted.



    One thing to remember is file permissions. check them in both directions. I would not be inclined to literally "share" files between the two systems in general (That's why I dual boot), but for copying resources like text files or images and so forth? I don't have any issues.






    share|improve this answer








    New contributor




    andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
    Check out our Code of Conduct.
























      0














      I have a dual boot Windows 10 (pro)/Ubuntu 18.04 system. I just grabbed a file by opening "Other Locations" from the Gnome files tool, then navigating to the Windows drive, then navigating to a location where the file was that I wanted.



      One thing to remember is file permissions. check them in both directions. I would not be inclined to literally "share" files between the two systems in general (That's why I dual boot), but for copying resources like text files or images and so forth? I don't have any issues.






      share|improve this answer








      New contributor




      andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.






















        0












        0








        0







        I have a dual boot Windows 10 (pro)/Ubuntu 18.04 system. I just grabbed a file by opening "Other Locations" from the Gnome files tool, then navigating to the Windows drive, then navigating to a location where the file was that I wanted.



        One thing to remember is file permissions. check them in both directions. I would not be inclined to literally "share" files between the two systems in general (That's why I dual boot), but for copying resources like text files or images and so forth? I don't have any issues.






        share|improve this answer








        New contributor




        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.










        I have a dual boot Windows 10 (pro)/Ubuntu 18.04 system. I just grabbed a file by opening "Other Locations" from the Gnome files tool, then navigating to the Windows drive, then navigating to a location where the file was that I wanted.



        One thing to remember is file permissions. check them in both directions. I would not be inclined to literally "share" files between the two systems in general (That's why I dual boot), but for copying resources like text files or images and so forth? I don't have any issues.







        share|improve this answer








        New contributor




        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.









        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer






        New contributor




        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.









        answered 2 hours ago









        andrewandrew

        1




        1




        New contributor




        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.





        New contributor





        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.






        andrew is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Ask Ubuntu!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1108036%2funable-to-access-windows-10-files-from-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Is compression “encryption” under FCC regs?Signing of messages transmitted over ham radioWhy do Amateur Radio organizations in the United States oppose the relaxation of encryption prohibitions?How far from earth do FCC regulations apply?How can I know whether a radio is FCC approved?FCC tracking of unlicensed FRS/GMRS transmissionsWhy does the FCC put restrictions on symbol rates?legal - Do FCC regulations only apply in U.S.A?What are FCC/Industry Canada certification requirements for amateur radio related products?How to get professional or official clarification of FCC Part 97 rules for specific complicated situations?Is there any point to keep the CSCE after the FCC registers the upgrade?Do FCC regulations limit digital data rate?

            macOS: Name for app shortcut screen found by pinching with thumb and three fingers Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) Should an RSS feed of hot network questions feed any chat room(s) here?How do I get three finger gestures working again in Twitter for Mac after installing Lion?After my MacBook Pro sleeps some gestures don't work anymoreIs it possible to reassign the “Pinch with thumb and three fingers” gesture to activate Dashboard instead of Launchpad?Disable animation for “Swipe between full-screen apps”?OSX Yosemite Can't disable four-finger swipeDrag with three fingers missing in OS X 10.11 Beta “El Capitan” (15A215h)A shortcut for Merge all Windows on macOS SierraSet the hostname/computer name for macOSmacOS: Identify tool and keyboard shortcutQuickly save Screenshot in MacOS Mojave with keyboard Shortcut

            What's wrong with this bogus proof?What's wrong with this random variable proof?What's wrong with this proof that all UFDs are Bezout?What's wrong with this proof by contradiction?A bogus proof of countable power setWhat's wrong with this proof $1=i^2=-1$What is wrong with this proofWhat's wrong with this proof of symmetry of equality?What's wrong with this 1 = -1 proof?What's wrong with this proof? (Regular languages)What's wrong in this proof of 1=2?