dabei is pointing to what preposition or fact “Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.”“Ich bin der Meinung, dass die Kleidung dieser Saison entsetzlich ist.” - sind or ist?“So ist er gut”

Life insurance that covers only simultaneous/dual deaths

Why doesn't the EU now just force the UK to choose between referendum and no-deal?

Force user to remove USB token

What wound would be of little consequence to a biped but terrible for a quadruped?

Is all copper pipe pretty much the same?

When is a batch class instantiated when you schedule it?

Am I not good enough for you?

Making a sword in the stone, in a medieval world without magic

validation vs test vs training accuracy, which one to compare for claiming overfit?

Playing ONE triplet (not three)

"However" used in a conditional clause?

It's a yearly task, alright

Silly Sally's Movie

Is "history" a male-biased word ("his+story")?

what does the apostrophe mean in this notation?

How to deal with a cynical class?

Single word request: Harming the benefactor

Why do Australian milk farmers need to protest supermarkets' milk price?

What is the definition of "Natural Selection"?

Is it ok to include an epilogue dedicated to colleagues who passed away in the end of the manuscript?

What is the blue range indicating on this manifold pressure gauge?

If Invisibility ends because the original caster casts a non-concentration spell, does Invisibility also end on other targets of the original casting?

Can "semicircle" be used to refer to a part-circle that is not a exact half-circle?

Want to switch to tankless, but can I use my existing wiring?



dabei is pointing to what preposition or fact “Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.”


“Ich bin der Meinung, dass die Kleidung dieser Saison entsetzlich ist.” - sind or ist?“So ist er gut”













1















I was reading the sentence




Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.




and I worked out that it meant roughly




I was just about to close the door. While doing that, you called me.




I want to ask about the function of the word "dabei"



I know that dabei can be pointing to a specific noun (i.e. as it was happening)



but what is the specific use of dabei here? Is dabei pointing to anything in the first sentence?










share|improve this question


























    1















    I was reading the sentence




    Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.




    and I worked out that it meant roughly




    I was just about to close the door. While doing that, you called me.




    I want to ask about the function of the word "dabei"



    I know that dabei can be pointing to a specific noun (i.e. as it was happening)



    but what is the specific use of dabei here? Is dabei pointing to anything in the first sentence?










    share|improve this question
























      1












      1








      1








      I was reading the sentence




      Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.




      and I worked out that it meant roughly




      I was just about to close the door. While doing that, you called me.




      I want to ask about the function of the word "dabei"



      I know that dabei can be pointing to a specific noun (i.e. as it was happening)



      but what is the specific use of dabei here? Is dabei pointing to anything in the first sentence?










      share|improve this question














      I was reading the sentence




      Ich war gerade dabei die Tür abzuschliessen. Da hast du angerufen.




      and I worked out that it meant roughly




      I was just about to close the door. While doing that, you called me.




      I want to ask about the function of the word "dabei"



      I know that dabei can be pointing to a specific noun (i.e. as it was happening)



      but what is the specific use of dabei here? Is dabei pointing to anything in the first sentence?







      grammar-identification






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked 6 hours ago









      Bob SmithBob Smith

      4648




      4648




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          2














          "Dabei" is expressing what the continuous form in English does - As German doesn't have that, we need to express concurrency of events using this (or other) adverbs.



          A proper translation to English would be




          I was closing the door when you called.







          share|improve this answer























          • is this similar to "dabei sein"

            – Bob Smith
            5 hours ago


















          2














          Dabei is derived from the preposition bei. Here, dabei refers to the following infinitive clause: die Tür abzuschließen.



          An alternative wording is:




          Ich war beim Abschließen der Tür.




          Dafür and dagegen can be used in the same way:




          Ich war dafür, die Tür abzuschließen.




          I was in favor of closing the door.






          share|improve this answer






















            Your Answer








            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "253"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: false,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: null,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            noCode: true, onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fgerman.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f50120%2fdabei-is-pointing-to-what-preposition-or-fact-ich-war-gerade-dabei-die-t%25c3%25bcr-abzu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes








            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            2














            "Dabei" is expressing what the continuous form in English does - As German doesn't have that, we need to express concurrency of events using this (or other) adverbs.



            A proper translation to English would be




            I was closing the door when you called.







            share|improve this answer























            • is this similar to "dabei sein"

              – Bob Smith
              5 hours ago















            2














            "Dabei" is expressing what the continuous form in English does - As German doesn't have that, we need to express concurrency of events using this (or other) adverbs.



            A proper translation to English would be




            I was closing the door when you called.







            share|improve this answer























            • is this similar to "dabei sein"

              – Bob Smith
              5 hours ago













            2












            2








            2







            "Dabei" is expressing what the continuous form in English does - As German doesn't have that, we need to express concurrency of events using this (or other) adverbs.



            A proper translation to English would be




            I was closing the door when you called.







            share|improve this answer













            "Dabei" is expressing what the continuous form in English does - As German doesn't have that, we need to express concurrency of events using this (or other) adverbs.



            A proper translation to English would be




            I was closing the door when you called.








            share|improve this answer












            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer










            answered 6 hours ago









            tofrotofro

            43.7k146132




            43.7k146132












            • is this similar to "dabei sein"

              – Bob Smith
              5 hours ago

















            • is this similar to "dabei sein"

              – Bob Smith
              5 hours ago
















            is this similar to "dabei sein"

            – Bob Smith
            5 hours ago





            is this similar to "dabei sein"

            – Bob Smith
            5 hours ago











            2














            Dabei is derived from the preposition bei. Here, dabei refers to the following infinitive clause: die Tür abzuschließen.



            An alternative wording is:




            Ich war beim Abschließen der Tür.




            Dafür and dagegen can be used in the same way:




            Ich war dafür, die Tür abzuschließen.




            I was in favor of closing the door.






            share|improve this answer



























              2














              Dabei is derived from the preposition bei. Here, dabei refers to the following infinitive clause: die Tür abzuschließen.



              An alternative wording is:




              Ich war beim Abschließen der Tür.




              Dafür and dagegen can be used in the same way:




              Ich war dafür, die Tür abzuschließen.




              I was in favor of closing the door.






              share|improve this answer

























                2












                2








                2







                Dabei is derived from the preposition bei. Here, dabei refers to the following infinitive clause: die Tür abzuschließen.



                An alternative wording is:




                Ich war beim Abschließen der Tür.




                Dafür and dagegen can be used in the same way:




                Ich war dafür, die Tür abzuschließen.




                I was in favor of closing the door.






                share|improve this answer













                Dabei is derived from the preposition bei. Here, dabei refers to the following infinitive clause: die Tür abzuschließen.



                An alternative wording is:




                Ich war beim Abschließen der Tür.




                Dafür and dagegen can be used in the same way:




                Ich war dafür, die Tür abzuschließen.




                I was in favor of closing the door.







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered 5 hours ago









                RHaRHa

                6,8341527




                6,8341527



























                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to German Language Stack Exchange!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fgerman.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f50120%2fdabei-is-pointing-to-what-preposition-or-fact-ich-war-gerade-dabei-die-t%25c3%25bcr-abzu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Is compression “encryption” under FCC regs?Signing of messages transmitted over ham radioWhy do Amateur Radio organizations in the United States oppose the relaxation of encryption prohibitions?How far from earth do FCC regulations apply?How can I know whether a radio is FCC approved?FCC tracking of unlicensed FRS/GMRS transmissionsWhy does the FCC put restrictions on symbol rates?legal - Do FCC regulations only apply in U.S.A?What are FCC/Industry Canada certification requirements for amateur radio related products?How to get professional or official clarification of FCC Part 97 rules for specific complicated situations?Is there any point to keep the CSCE after the FCC registers the upgrade?Do FCC regulations limit digital data rate?

                    macOS: Name for app shortcut screen found by pinching with thumb and three fingers Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) Should an RSS feed of hot network questions feed any chat room(s) here?How do I get three finger gestures working again in Twitter for Mac after installing Lion?After my MacBook Pro sleeps some gestures don't work anymoreIs it possible to reassign the “Pinch with thumb and three fingers” gesture to activate Dashboard instead of Launchpad?Disable animation for “Swipe between full-screen apps”?OSX Yosemite Can't disable four-finger swipeDrag with three fingers missing in OS X 10.11 Beta “El Capitan” (15A215h)A shortcut for Merge all Windows on macOS SierraSet the hostname/computer name for macOSmacOS: Identify tool and keyboard shortcutQuickly save Screenshot in MacOS Mojave with keyboard Shortcut

                    What's wrong with this bogus proof?What's wrong with this random variable proof?What's wrong with this proof that all UFDs are Bezout?What's wrong with this proof by contradiction?A bogus proof of countable power setWhat's wrong with this proof $1=i^2=-1$What is wrong with this proofWhat's wrong with this proof of symmetry of equality?What's wrong with this 1 = -1 proof?What's wrong with this proof? (Regular languages)What's wrong in this proof of 1=2?